In summer, parents have some questions about holidays. Can they travel with a baby? At what age is it good for a baby to travel? How can long journeys by train or flights to the different time and climate zones affect baby's health? And if it is possible to travel, how to do it as comfortable as possible for the whole family?
We will try to answer all these questions in simple terms. We will also tell you little secrets that will make your holidays with children easy and enjoyable.
In terms of Pediatrics, the first 3-4 months of life are the most critical period for a newborn. After that time is over, you can take your baby to sunny countries. However, to avoid any surprises, you should consider climate zones. There are some nuances here.
Babies under the age of one usually:
Due to these features, it is easy to control their regimen and movement especially if a baby is breastfed. Unlike formulas, mother’s milk calms down and strengthen their immune system and make it possible to refresh quickly. Natural feeding will help on the way, during airplane takeoff and landing, calms the baby down if it noisy and there are a lot of people around.
However, there are still difficulties in traveling with a baby. They can be divided into several groups:
1) if your baby is very active and takes an interest in everything and tries to walk when they are 8–9 months old;
2) hygienic procedures (find more about it at the end of the article);
3) supplementary feeding for the baby — water and complementary food (also find more at the end of the article).
Therefore, before a journey, you should think about safe and easy solutions for different surprises.
Here are some tips from parents with a huge traveling experience.
That’s how simple it is to deal with babies under one year of age.
Many parents deny themselves summer holidays until their baby is one year old. It is wise in its own way. Babies are very sensitive to their mothers’ mood swings. And if a mother doesn’t feel confident in a journey, if it may well result in more worries and anxieties for the mother, you should not plan it.
Children at this age start walking. And it takes two pairs of eyes to follow a child: one pair to deal with journey matters and the other to monitor baby’s movement.
Parents are usually very worried that something may go wrong. It is very difficult to stay calm with such worries. But there are little secrets.
1) Children aged 2–3 years like to help. These are the most responsible assistants you can find. Ask your child to hold a small bag with a toy or a bottle of water and say that this is very important and that they will help their mother and father. This will be a game for the child. Like any game, “keeping an eye on a bag" or “helping mother and father” will make your baby more accurate, attentive and careful in public places. So they will watch you not to forget anything.
2) Do not forget your sling. A tired child will gladly rest in mother’s arms and quickly fall asleep. So parents will have an hour or two to relax.
3) Going on holidays, find out in advance if there are any interesting and safe place for children in the holiday spot. Children especially like to spend holidays close to nature where they can go for a walk wearing sandals without parents’ help. The age of 2–3 years is the period when children need freedom and a minute or two on their own. It has long been observed that the most obedient children are those who have an opportunity to walk on their own. Children are able to entertain themselves. And parents should only take care of safety.
Now let’s consider general questions related to health and comfort of children aged 0-3 years.
The first difficulty you may face on holidays is gastrointestinal tract problems. Children also have their own natural mechanisms protecting them from various poisonings and troubles — this is an instinctive choice of products and dishes. If your child suddenly doesn’t want to eat something that they usually ate at home, don’t force them. Just don’t make them eat even if it’s time to have lunch or dinner under the regimen. The child’s body quickly adjusts (during 24 hours at most) to different time zones, climate zones and food. That is why children can be picky in food, eat less than usual. Bear this in mind during a journey and everything will be fine.
If your baby goes to the toilet themselves, there are special pots for traveling. They are easy to use and carry. With such pots, you should not be afraid of community toilets at stations or airports.
The second difficulty on holidays is a child’s sudden fear of flies, mosquitoes and other “scary” animals. This happens with very sensitive babies. But this fear will pass with age if you do not criticize the fear of a mosquito sitting on a wall. Fear is just an emotion. You should first protect your baby so that it will be easier for them to overcome this fear.
Currently, there are special safe devices you can hang on your child’s belt. There are also special baby creams protecting from the sun and mosquitos. There are also natural ways of protection, for example, the smell of wormwood or lemon and cinnamon blend repels these animals. For informational purposes, this article provides only a small portion of the data how to protect your child from mosquitos. You can find more details about it on the Internet.
As you can see, holidays with children can be easy and fun if you take into account that children can be disciplined and sometimes even self-dependent.